Quick Links

Demographics


For Census facts, please click on this link: censusviewer.com/city/GA/Vienna.

 

Location

  • Vienna is located approximately 56 miles from Macon; 90 miles from Columbus; 98 miles from Valdosta; 132 miles from Atlanta; 180 miles from Savannah; 136 miles from Tallahassee, Florida; 200 miles from Jacksonville, Florida; and 307 miles from Orlando, Florida. 
  • Vienna is located adjacent to Interstate 75 in south central Georgia in Dooly County. Dooly County is a part of the state's Andersonville Trail, the Georgia Grown Trail: Hwy 41, and the Presidential Pathways Travel Region. Dooly County boasts the largest cotton production in the state and is a leader in annual peanut production. This diverse region of the south is home to large industries, small businesses, recreational and cultural opportunities, and the very best Southern Hospitality! 
  • As a retirement location, Vienna is only two hours south of Atlanta. It offers a quiet small town atmosphere in easy reach of major metropolitan areas. With nearby Americus, Plains, Andersonville and Columbus, this area is rich with history and abounds with activity. 

  • Vienna has lovely restored structures, a quaint cotton museum (the official Georgia State Cotton Museum), Victorian style homes, snowy fields of cotton, an easier lifestyle and a fabulous fall festival (BIG PIG JIG®).
  • Visit the restored 1891 Dooly County Courthouse located adjacent to the Square in beautiful Downtown Vienna.
  • Vienna is home to the BIG PIG JIG®, Georgia's Barbeque Cooking Championship that includes: a parade, sidewalk art contest, local and nationally-known musical entertainment, children's games and activities, Taste of the Jig, and more than $21,500 in prize money for competitors. The contest draws 120+ cooking teams with entries of whole hog, shoulder or ribs plus Brunswick stew, barbeque sauce and chicken; over 10,000 spectators attend a variety of events through out BIG PIG JIG® week. The event requires more than 200 judges and 400 volunteers. Held in November, the event is Georgia's oldest, largest, and official barbeque championship. 
  • Vienna is home to the late Walter F. George, an American politician from the state of Georgia. He was a long-time Democratic United States Senator and was President pro tempore of the Senate from 1955 to 1957.
  • Vienna is also home to the late George Busbee, the first Georgia governor to serve two consecutive four-year terms (1975-83). He gave the state eight years of effective, low-key leadership and ranks among the most popular and least controversial of modern Georgia governors.
  • Come discover what is waiting for YOU!

 

Population Demographics

  • The city's population is 12.5% college educated and 72.6% have a high school diploma or a GED.
  • 44.8% of the city's population is married. The other 55.2% are single.
  • The races making up the largest parts of the population are: Black or African American [68.8%], White [24.9%] and Hispanic [8.0%].
  • The population of Vienna, GA is 4,011.
  • 97.4% of people in Vienna, GA were born U.S. citizens, while 2.6% were born outside of the country.
  • Of the city's population 45.5% are men and 54.5% are females.

 

Economy

  • Vienna, GA has a poverty rate of 22.9%.
  • As of the last census, the Vienna, GA unemployment rate of 11.9% was worse than the 7.9% national average.
  • The median worker income in Vienna, GA is $20,033.
  • The average worker works 39 hours a week in Vienna, GA.
  • The break down for commute times in Vienna, GA is: 82.0% under 25 mins, 9.8% 25-45 mins, and 8.3% above 45 minutes.

 

Homes

  • $934 a month is the typical owner cost for a home with a mortgage.
  • In Vienna, GA 1975 is the median year when homes were built.
  • Rentals are 37.3% of homes and 49.8% of homes are occupied by their owners.
  • Homes have 6 rooms on average.